Sunday 25 February 2007

Getting to grips with the eco lodge


I have the best project with one of the funniest guys on this Raleigh trip who also happens to have the practical skills I don't. He is/was a tree surgeon and is now training to be an environmental architect. Basically I have lucked out. Just back from a 3 day trip to check it all out, we had a right laugh being bitten by fire ants; waiting for buses that never came; eating with our right hand only and grappling with some crappy radio that didn't work. (We gave up and took a trip to the mobile phone shop, none of this alpha bravo boy scout nonsense, I will be ringing the ambulance direct when one of the guys chops his leg off with a circular saw.)

For the next 10 weeks or so I'll be based on the Kinabatangan river which is one of the best places to see wildlife in Borneo. I'll be going to work by boat, the site is 10 mins downstream. Saw a monkey yesterday. Check out the location of the lodge, it's overlooking an oxbow lake, isn't it amazing? I'll write more about the project when I'm a bit more awake, it's all very interesting, part of a sustainable tourism project to support the community. Pics to follow too.

Back in the big brother house tonight for more jolly hockey sticks Raleigh stuff which has been hysterical but you'd never believe it if I told you about it. The guys all arrive in a few days time so it'll be full on from then. Our first bunch have to build the camp and for the first couple of nights they'll be sleeping in their hammocks in a make-shift site. It's pretty hardcore and I expect tears (probably mine). Michelle, I keep repeating your mantra: "assumption is the mother of all f*ck-ups" so we have an alternative plan should all the hammocks fall down. I will keep you posted. It's pretty likely. I'm desperately practicing my knots.




5 comments:

Tamsin said...

hey Hannah - been feeling BAD about never replying to your long and lovely email in January. And now here you are off living in the jungle. You go girl! I shall enjoy reading your blog!

Tamsin x

Unknown said...

Hi Hannah,
Sounds like intence living, the kind of things that makes up a good and rich life.
Scotland is warm and sunny as usual :)), bike is out of the garage and i'm enjoying life, hope you are to.
Live Love and Love Life...
Big hug, Goran

Alison R said...

Hi Hannah,

Hope you have managed to get to grips with jungle life - I am sure you will be great once you get into it!

Just a quick message to wish you a happy birthday - I expect you will be reading this well after the event, so I hope you managed to celebrate in some kind of style!

Love from Alison x

Sara S said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY my darling.

We're all thinking of you here. Sam was 1 this weekend, can you believe it!

Loads of love xxxxx

Linsey said...

Wow! An ox-bow lake!! Finally get to see what one of those bad boys looks like. Well it sounds like you are having the time of your life. Have a fantastic birthday. I had my 31st in the Amazon jungle and it was an experience to remember, watching the sunrise over the trees and listening to the howler monkeys wake up, and then spending a sweaty day trying to get through Bolivian customs. Oh happy days! Anyway, all the best jungle jane. Enjoy!! Linsey xx