Thursday 6 March 2008

Viva Las Vegas

I haven't written for a month now which just goes to show how much working and skiing has been consuming my life. Well, mostly... there has of course been some other consumption going on as well. And where better to consume than Las Vegas.

I have never been anywhere like Vegas - it really does live up to its reputation. Flashy and trashy and at times even quite classy, which surprised me. Fourteen of the twenty largest hotels in the world are in Vegas.



Check this out; it's modelled on Venice, surprisingly enough. It's so cheesy it's good. There's even a fake St Mark's Square.

The strip never sleeps. At midnight, it feels like 8pm. There are working girls everywhere and serious mutton dressed as lamb. And the vibe just encourages misbehaving. I'd like to say I didn't, but of course that would be a lie. Marc had to take me for a bloody mary the day we drove out to the Hoover Dam. I was shaking and nauseous and vowing never, ever, again. It was great to go there with him: he lived and worked there for 3 years and really was a fantastic tour guide, if a little too cheeky at times! Do you know Americans don't use the word cheeky? I'm told the nearest they have to it is sassy. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

4 comments:

Russ said...

Your first time in Vegas and the item that has the biggest impact on you is the absence of "cheeky" in the American vernacular? Well, I guess what happens in Vegas really does stay in Vegas.

Russ

Hannah said...

You've hit the nail on the head there....!

Linsey said...

Hey sassy lady. Try doing Las Vegas for 3 days jetlagged to fuzz and out my head on novacaine having just had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted. Surreal doesn't come close. Loved it! How long you there for? When/Are you coming back?

Tamsin said...

Oh come on you tease! Spill the beans! Sounds like there was FUN going on, and I could do with some gossip :-)

Tx