Wednesday 19 December 2007

Land of the additive



Coffeemate. It's just so vile and it's everywhere.


How does this sound?: corn syrup solids, vegetable oil, partially hydrogenated coconut or palm kernel, hydrogenated soybean, sodium caseinate, dipotassium phosphate, mon and diglycerides, artificial flavor, annatto color.


Yummy. What's wrong with just milk?

I bought some oatmeal the other day (isn't that a much better word than porridge? It just sounds tastier.) Got to work and opened up what I thought was just a box of oats - to find it had multiplied into lots of baby oatmeal sachets. And the ingredients when I looked? Not just oats. Oats, sugar, salt and a whole host of other stabilisers and stuff. Just how can oatmeal be anything but oats?


Well, at least my food bills shouldn't be too much; it's so hard to find anything au naturel. Just as well really as I got my first pay cheque today: I'm getting paid so little I get a cheque every fortnight. It covers my rent but doesn't even make a dent in all the fantastic new ski kit I've decided is a necessity for this season. Oh well, out will come the cards. It's the American way and I'm embracing it.

No comments: