Sunday 30 September 2007

Meditating on the meaning of life

Well, I've gone from flaming hot f*cks in a ski town (shots of Baileys and Midori set on fire as opposed to anything more interesting I'm afraid) to ten days contemplating the purpose of life in Kopan, a Tibetan Buddhist monastery just outside Kathmandu.

It really has been an amazing experience and at times extremely challenging. I can honestly say that my perspective on my life has shifted somewhat. Being exposed to your own delusions is very uncomfortable to say the least but I am sure what I've learned will stay with me.

The rituals associated with Tibetan Buddhism were at times rather too much but I suspended my disbelief for once and I even did prayers and prostrations. Did you know that before 1959 there were around 6000 monasteries in Tibet? Such a rich spiritual life, so imaginative. If I compare it to the dour Church of Scotland and all those hard pews and mournful hymns... it's a world away. It's no wonder nobody goes anymore.

I did also realise at one point that four years ago at this time I was away with the fairies at the closing parties in Ibiza... and now there I was chanting mantras and meditating for 5 hours a day. I guess it's all about altered states of consciousness really. I even managed to stay completely silent for a day and a half. Yes, that's 36 hours. (It was supposed to be 48 but I just couldn't do it. I actually started talking to myself. You know how I love the sound of my voice.)

Struggling to cope with frantic Kathmandu after so much peace.... so having spent a fortune on fake trekking gear I'm off to the Himalayas tomorrow. Back in about 4 weeks, unless I get kidnapped by Maoist rebels.

Pics of monastic life are here. Haven't got nearly as many of the monks as I'd have liked, it seemed somewhat disrespectful to snap away at them doing their mantras. Have a look at the sunrise ones. 5.30am over the Kathmandu valley. Just beautiful.

1 comment:

Russ said...

Marvelous photos, wonderful experience. Enjoy your time in the rarified air of the Himalayas.